Thursday, October 4, 2012

Paperwork and Nerves


The NOK sent me some forms to fill out:

1. Referral Form that I had to fill out with my pg: this was all about my personal information (name, date of birth, health insurance), medical information (like if I am morbidly obese, have hypertension, diabetes mellitus, dyslipidemia, e.g.), biometrics (weight, height, blood pressure) lab work (glucose, cholesterol, e.g.), medication I'm taking, complaints I have and other relevant information.

2. Treatment Agreement: this basically is an agreement that states the arrangements, duties of both NOK and me an when/why the agreement can be cancelled.

3. Consent Form: where I declare that I don't object to the NOK requesting medical information from my pg and other practitioners.

After all the forms where filled in, I made copies and sent them to the NOK on August 24th. Now the wait began: I had to wait for the NOK to process the paperwork and the I would eventually get a call from Vitalys, Vitalys is the clinic where a possible surgery will take place. Because I would leave for Spain on August 31st I decided to give the NOK a call on August 29th to make sure they had received my forms. The nice lady on the phone informed me that due to lots of application I probably wouldn't hear anything from them the next 6 weeks.

To my big surprise the NOK called me on September 19th and invited me to come in for an orientation meeting on October 5th! Which is tomorrow!! Now that it's almost time for me to go to the NOK I am a bit nervous, even when I realise that this meeting is only to inform me (and approximately 7 other people) about the whole process. After this meeting the serious part starts.... I will be evaluated and told weither or not I will be treated. I will tell you more about the evaluation later.

So, tomorrow is my third mile-stone on this journey: the orientation meeting at the NOK in Velp. In my opinion the first mile-stone was finally admitting to my doctor that I wasn't able to do this on my own and needed help. The second mile-stone to me was actually getting referred to the NOK. And tomorrow will be the third mile-stone. The NOK told me that I was allowed to bring someone with me. E. (my BF has to work tomorrow and I knew my mom would be interested in going with me, so I asked her to tag along. I'm a bit nervous and apprehensive and hope that I'll be able to get some sleep tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment